image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Thursday, August 26, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 19:8, And all the people answered together and said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do!”

Excitement and enthusiasm in a crowd can be contagious; a mob can be dangerous. And they both may be made up of the same attendees. World sport events witness to the carnage of towns and property when a team loses. The party turns to plunder.

What induces citizens to participate? Why mass dis-order? A sense of anonymity, fear of rejection, peer pressure? When the purpose is ugly, devastation follows. But what of a generous purpose? Then does mob mentality produce positive results?

All the people-all Israel-accepted and agreed to God’s invitation. All spoke together. All chose obedience. All chose God. Good decisions-good intentions.

How many individuals prayed through, reflected through, planned through, God’s invitation to life and health and ministry? Positive steps towards God’s call and His character; for Israel and for us.

But if I accept God’s gift in the throes of excitement, what do I do when His reality doesn’t match my expectations? Do I turn away, reject Him, blame Him? Turn angry and destructive?

Lord, may I examine my motives each time I burn effervescent, especially in a group. Prayerfully lead me through the cost before the commitment, so I will have staying power, and not crumple in a defensive tirade against You. Speak Your words deep within me, so that my walk is grounded in You, in honest obedience, not fickle feelings.

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 37:5

Commit your way to the Lord,

Trust also in Him and He will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs