image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Monday, July 26, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 16:4, Then the Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day, that I may test them, whether or not they will walk in My instruction.”

Israel was to gather the food God provided each day, enough only for the day’s needs. No more, no less. Not to indulge, and not to hoard. But it was food, there was plenty, it covered the ground. So some took extra, perhaps for a snack later, just in case the evening meal didn’t arrive. And it became wormy and foul.

Growing up in snow climate we sometimes learned the hard way it was wise to keep a supply of canned gods and candles on hand for when storms came. A hard-hitting blizzard could leave a blanket of fresh snow, cold air, and often no electricity, no heat, no water. When without proper resources, we went hungry.

Israel did have food, morning and evening, provided by God. God asked Israel to trust Him, to obey Him, to follow Him.

Lord, I too place my security in visible things. It’s a comfort to know whatever I need is there, whenever I want to use it. And it’s also so easy to start worrying about what will happen when things run out, so I gather more. Instead, help me to place all my trust in You, knowing You will provide all my needs, when the time is right. Let me not be like the man in Jesus’ parable who wastes his time “laying up treasures for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 78:24-25

And He rained down manna upon them to eat,

And gave them food from heaven.

Man did eat the bread of angels;

He sent them food in abundance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs