image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Monday, April 19, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 5:22-23, Then Moses returned to the Lord and said, “O Lord, why hast Thou brought harm to this people? Why didst Thou ever send me? Ever since I came to Pharaoh to speak in Thy name, he hast done harm to this people;”

Moses obeyed. Moses stepped out in faith. Moses stood before Pharaoh. His activities brought severe consequences, not to himself, but to his people-Israel. Things became worse, not better.

Before, when Moses murdered, he ran. He bore the results of his deeds. Now Moses must watch Israel suffer. Was he tempted to flee into the desert again? Except it was there God commissioned him.

Moses returned to the Lord. With his grief, with his questions, with his doubts. He brought his failure to God. Moses didn’t understand, but he knew God alone could explain this defeat.

Jesus said, “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.”

We shrink from this statement. The mental image of Jesus standing sword in hand seems remote from nail-scarred hands reaching out in love.

Many of Jesus’ parables speak of soil. Furrowed-seeded-watered. Before the planting is upheaval. Before the harvest is manure.

I am so easily persuaded to quit Lord. I see the obstacles or the distress and I retreat. Help me bring the pain and the conflicts to You. Make me willing to accept the plough as ‘Grace filled’ as I enjoy the fruit.

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 80:9

Thou didst clear the ground before it,

And it took deep root and filled the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs