image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Friday, April 9, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 5:9, Let the labor be heavier on the men, and let them work at it that they may pay no attention to false words.

Pharaoh knew psychology. Pile on the labor until they stagger. Weigh them down until words no longer infiltrate their thinking. Fatigue settles. Dullness of mind descends. Our vision narrows when our burdens increase. Our sight is limited to the tasks at hand. Our purpose is to make it through the day. We brush away alternative goals like flies at a picnic. Automatically like machines, set, programmed, we work.

Jesus calls, “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”

Words of life, words of meaning.

Can I hear them or am I so overburdened with busyness they fall unnoticed as leaves in a forest. Am I so absorbed in ceaseless activities I am blind to the weight friends carry? Vain pursuits contribute to emptiness, too. Some days fill with meaningless clatter and still I am deaf to Jesus’ invitation to rest my soul. His words sound so foreign that I think them false, like Pharaoh thought Moses’.

Open my ears and eyes, Lord, to perceive Your words. Keep me from substituting false pursuits for truth. Balance my labor under Your yoke.

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 68:19

Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burden,

The God who is our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs