image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Monday, October 28, 2013

Faith Seeds: Prayers and Poetry


2 Kings 20:5, “Thus says the Lord, the God of your ancestor David. I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; indeed I will heal you, …. I will defend this city for my own sake and for my servant David’s sake.”


First Hezekiah brought his weakness as a king to the Lord and out of God’s strength Assyria was routed. Then the king brought his personal physical weakness before the Lord in prayer and received fifteen more years. He had the courage to ask, the faith to believe in the possibility if God so chose to say yes.

Yet, in his extended days, he put Judah and the city of Jerusalem into jeopardy by showing emissaries from Babylon all the treasures, including the house of the Lord. Was his intent to boast in the Lord? Or to intimidate Babylon? Or had he become complacent under the Lord’s favor? When faced with the consequences of his actions Hezekiah was merely grateful he could live out his reign in peace.

How do we react once a crisis has past? How quickly do we fall back into old habits, old patterns of self-centeredness? Or perhaps worse—not even seek God’s will at all, in case His answer is no.

Hezekiah first had the courage to ask. Then somewhere he lost the ability to fully live the gift of years God gave him.

Lord, help us to abide in You every moment of every day and not wait for emergencies and catastrophes to seek Your face, but instead walk with You in the fellowship You have offered us as gift every day. Then, Lord, we can remain in Your counsel, regardless of what the day might bring.


Psalm of Worship: Psalm 39:4-5

“Lord, make me to know my end, And what is the extent of my days,
Let me know how transient I am.
Behold, Thou hast made my days as handbreadths,
And my lifetime as nothing in Thy sight,
Surely every man at his best is a mere breath.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs