image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Monday, June 21, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 12:41, And it came about at the end of four hundred and thirty years, to the very day, that all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.

Abraham was the first patriarch of Israel to whom God’s promises are recorded. God promised him a great name, blessings, a great nation, and multiplied descendants as the stars of heaven and sand on the seashore. Israel passed these promises along to each generation. They knew them to be true. God also told Abraham his descendants would be enslaved and oppressed for four hundred years.

Had Israel forgotten God’s word? Had they become so enamored of Egypt’s gods that they thought God’s prophecy a myth? The time had come. God knew the very day Israel would leave captivity. He had promised a limit, a release.

We are reminded in Ecclesiastes “There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven”: for birth, death, plant, uproot, kill, heal, tear down, build-up, mourn, dance, throw stones, gather stones, search, keep, throw away, tear apart, sew together, be silent, speak, love, hate, war, “and a time for peace.”

I need my vision prodded to look beyond the immediate. My own memories repeat time after time that You have interceded on my behalf, Lord, and brought Your limits to bear on my circumstances. Forgive me my forgetfulness.

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 69:13

But as for me, my prayer is to Thee, O Lord, at an acceptable time;

O God, in the greatness of Thy lovingkindness, Answer me with Thy saving truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs