image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Leaving Egypt Behind

Scripture: Exodus 7:5, And the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord when I stretch out My hand on Egypt and bring out the sons of Israel from their midst.

The Egyptians did not acknowledge the Lord and when He spoke they chose to ignore Him, to continue to trust in their idols. Over the years many Israelites also chose to follow the Egyptian gods. They revered their Nile. They knew it and the blessings of harvest and life it bestowed. So they worshipped Hapi, Isis, and Khnum, among others, as guardians of their river. How then could they be sure the Lord was truly stronger and more powerful?

One by one, the Lord turned their idols of worship into symbols of disease, destruction and loathing. Plague by plague He challenged each Egyptian god. He stretched forth His hand and proved their gods false and powerless before Him, the Creator, the true source of life-giving waters.

Lord, I need You to stretch out Your hand to me too, and strip away the false idols that clutter up my days. Have I started to take Your blessings and gifts and begun to idolize them? Show me the areas where I allow my time and energy to be wasted pursuing deceptive idols in ways that keep me separated from knowing You. Lord, please bring me out from the world’s midst and set me on Your journey.

Psalm of Worship: Psalm 131:3

O Israel, hope in the Lord,

From this time forth and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs