image: header
Home | About | Contact | Books | Blog | Fiction | Non-Fiction | Mythic Impact


Monday, November 19, 2012

Faith Seeds: Prayers and Poetry

Job 13:5, “If you would only keep silent, that would be your wisdom!”


I heard a story once that Susanna Wesley, mother of nineteen children, would pull her apron over her head when she wanted to pray.  And her children knew not to disturb her in her quiet place.

Most of us have more opportunities to find corners or methods of solitude for reflection and prayers, yet for me sometimes the quiet instigates the clamor. I talk my prayers instead of keeping silent. When another is sharing a problem I want to jump in with a solution, instead of listening with support and comfort.

One friend could not bear a silent house so would keep a tv or radio on, set at barely a murmur, because she didn’t want to be distracted from her projects, but complete silence made it impossible for her to be think clearly.

Or how often do we turn up volume to tune out other noises that interfere with our own personal noise? We seem to need to fill quiet pauses with conversation, to cover over silence with any words—regardless how empty they might be.

“Where shall the word be found, where will the word
Resound? Not here, there is not enough silence...”

Lord, please quiet our tumult and our tension, and teach us to be still. Quiet enough to hear Your answers to the prayers we clamor at You. At peace enough to be willing to wait for wisdom instead of fretting into foolishness. Teach us to be wise.


Psalm of Worship: Psalm 62: 1-2

“My soul waits in silence for God only; from Him is my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Marcy Weydemuller | Site by Eagle Designs